Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Food Bank


On April 17th, 2010, my little brother and I volunteered to collect money for the Food Bank. We stood outside a Harris Teeter and asked for donations. If they gave us $1 or more, we would ask them if they wanted a newspaper or not. I was afraid that the newspaper did not look very professional and looked more like a magazine saying, why you should give. Most did not take the newspaper. Most people also did not give money. They said stuff like, "I donate lots to the Food Bank" or "I don't have any cash" or just "No thanks". I think people like to give money to little kids more than big kids because every time someone looked like they were walking towards me, they would always shift direction so they would now be walking towards my brother. The people in charge even said that little kids are the best because no one can say "no" to a little kid. Still, it was a success. I got around $50. Almost nobody took a newspaper. Some popular reasons were "I subscribe" or "I got one from your buddy over there." I think this event has taught me that you should always make people feel bad about not giving to starving people so they'll give you more money.

No comments:

Post a Comment